SXSW Interactive, a Recap
I’m just back from South by Southwest, a 10-day interactive, music, and film conference and festival in Austin, Texas. I’ll get into more detail later, but I’m giving several conference recaps to various constituencies. As I work through my round-up, I’ll be adding to my notes and blog here.
A brief overview of South by Southwest
Companies from the finals of Accelerator that I thought were cool.
- The Fun Framework for Mobile Sensing (Funf) Project: An open-source set of functionalities to help collect, disseminate, and understand mobile data.
- Ushahidi: an open-source software for information collection and visualization.
Social Media + Social Networking:
- Thirst Labs: Uses natural language to grok meaning from status updates and social data
- Hoot.Me: A Facebook application for developing student-led tutoring sessions
- Condition One: This company created an embedded video player for the iPad that allows people to pan and scan (amongst other things) with the environment
- Scrible: Allows you to annotate, research, and share on web pages
- Viztu Technologies: Lets you create 3d images using 2d technology
- Wemo Media: They created a shared, virtual ocean that is being created by individual animators
- Grandstand: A platform that turns social and mobile actions into games and visualizations
- Medify: A search technology that allows people to sift through medical data to return relevant bits of information related to their health questions
- Simplee: A Mint.com for medical records
- Vital Clip and Ginger.io: Each seek to use mobile applications to track and deliver data to individuals related to their health care to help prevent relapse injuries.
- Big Data for Everybody: Help Liberate the Data Serf
- SXSW Stories 2012: Big Data Will Be a Trend (by me!)
- The Year Big Data Became Intensely Personal (news)
Transmedia and Transmedia Storytelling
- Creating the Code: A BBC Transmedia Story
- Top Chef: How Transmedia is Changing Television
- Would Anyone Miss You: A SXSW Transmedia Experience
- Live the Game: A Lifestyle with a Gaming Sense
- Multiplatform Storytelling: Frontline War Stories
Education and Education Themes
- SXSW Education Panels: This may give you a sense of what companies are working in this space, and what people are talking about regarding education and technology.
- Build a Massive Peer Learning Community Online
Books, Publishing, and Literacy:
- Publishing Models Transforming the Book
- Storytelling Beyond Words: New Forms of Journalism
- Get Lit: Why Story Matters
- Crowdsourced + Collaborative Story Writing
- Next Stage: Cinematic Storytelling + Journalism
- Augmented Reality = ARPA’s Original Vision of the Web
- Marvel Announces Augmented Reality App, Exclusive Digital Comics at SXSW (news)
- The Potential for Augmented Reality in Education (2011 panel)
- Everything You Need to Know about B2B Marketing
- The Promise and Pitfalls of Real-Time Marketing
- The New Hollywood: Building Celebrity Brands Online
Non SXSW-related thoughts: